A lot of my food knowledge and inspiration comes from the vast amount of reading and TV show watching I did as a kid (the TV show bingeing continues even now but reading has sadly taken a backseat). From Enid Blytons to Nancy Drew and even Sweet Valley, I read them all! While the stories were great, the way food was described was especially spectacular! I really wanted to be part of those picnics, the after school hang outs, the midnight snacks..you name it, I wanted to be there!
One snack that was written about very often in the American books was the Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwich. It seemed to be every child’s go to after school snack and sounded very intriguing to me. Peanut butter was not a common thing for us growing up, but we got it a few times and then I tried it just the way the kids in the books did. Mind was blown! Sweet, salty, crunchy and delicious – this was a magical flavour combo! It’s become one of my favourite things to have over the years and this recipe takes that sandwich and amps it up in dessert form 🙂
This recipe is super easy to make and the blondies are amazing! It’s like taking that PB&J sandwich and transforming it into a thick, gooey centered, crisp edged bite of goodness! ❤️
This recipe uses both peanut butter and regular unsalted butter to make it luscious and thick.
The rest of the ingredients are your regular Blondie essentials : flour, eggs, salt, vanilla, sugar. Easy peasy!
The batter is thick so make sure you spread it out evenly and then add dollops of your favourite jam. I use Kissan Mixed Fruit but feel free to use what you have/like.
Swirl away in any pattern you like 🙂 then bake, cool and slice!
These blondies are rich and decadent but beautifully balanced so they taste savoury in one bite and sweet in another. You’ll want to eat many, so bake accordingly 🙂
The jam melts and forms little pools all over the top, little pockets of sweetness and freshness in each bite 🙂
Make a batch and enjoy munching on these through the day!
Peanut Butter & Jam Blondies
100g unsalted butter
3/4 cup (90g) brown sugar
1/2 cup (125g) smooth peanut butter – room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup (120g) all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
4-5 tsp jam of your choice
- Grease and line a 9 inch baking pan. Pre heat the oven to 175C
- Melt the unsalted butter and brown sugar and let it cool to room temperature
- Whisk the peanut butter into the sugar+melter butter mixture, till well combined
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and whisk for 1-2 minutes
- Sift the flour and salt and add to the wet batter. Mix till just combined
- Transfer the batter to the pan and spread out evenly
- In a small bowl, whisk the jam till it is smooth and easier to spread (30-45 seconds)
- Add dollops of the jam on the batter and swirl in any pattern you like
- Bake at 175 for 30-35 minutes till just done. Take the blondies out when still slightly underbaked
- Cool to room temperature and then remove from the pan and slice. Dig in 🙂