This recipe is something I tried for the first time today. And totally loved! It is flavourful, easy, healthy and a welcome change from my regular cooking. I see this becoming a regular for weekend meals 🙂
Let me introduce you to this delicious herbed chicken, baby spinach and tomatoes.
I was browsing through Nature’s Basket yesterday (yes, I browse in grocery stores) and saw this lovely baby spinach. I’ve been wanting to cook with baby spinach for a while now, but hadn’t yet come across nice, bright, fresh leaves. There they were, waiting to be picked up 🙂
I ran through some flavour combinations in my head and checked some recipes online. I found a super easy recipe on the Food Network, which I adapted a little to suit my taste preferences.
The entire meal comes together in one pan, in pretty much three steps. Step 1 Chicken. Step 2 Spinach. Step 3 Tomatoes. And then my favourite step… Eat. 🙂
I love this so much that I am posting the recipe on the same day. That never happens!
Please try this out soon! You will know why I am so excited about it 🙂
Chicken with Baby Spinach and Tomatoes
500g chicken breast (boneless)
1.25 tsp garlic powder/granules
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
200g baby spinach
2 medium tomatoes – cut into cubes
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup chicken stock
1 tbsp olive oil
salt to taste
- Wash and dry the chicken breasts. If there are different sizes/thickness, try to make them as similar as possible
- Marinate the chicken in pepper, oregano, 3/4 tsp garlic powder and 1/2 tsp salt. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the chicken pieces. Cook for 4-5 minutes per side until cooked through and slightly brown. Keep aside.
- In the same pan, add the baby spinach. Add 1/2 tsp garlic powder and a pinch of salt. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes. Keep aside.
- Add balsamic vinegar and broth to the pan. Stir well so that any remaining bits of chicken are mixed into the broth.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 5-7 minutes, till slightly soft.
- Add chilli powder. Check for salt.
- The dish is now ready to plate! Place the spinach on the plate. Add chicken on top of it. Spoon the tomatoes and broth on top of the chicken. Voila!
2 thoughts on “Herbed Chicken with baby spinach and tomatoes”
[…] it, right? 🙂 I am a big fan of baked/grilled chicken and make some form of it every week (like this recipe). I’ve made crumbed chicken before and think it is super easy and delicious. I swapped out […]