My favourite fruit of all time is strawberry! Juicy, plump, tart, slightly sweet deliciousness 😍
It’s not that easy to find good quality strawberries so I make the most of it whenever they are available. Eat as many as I can! Makes sense to also find ways to bake with them right? This cake is super easy and every bite is moist,buttery and strawberry-filled. Happiness, indeed!
There are strawberries inside the cake and on top of the cake too. Strawberries galore! Just how it should be.
The cake is a simple, eggless vanilla sponge cake. The yoghurt, which replaces the eggs, helps to make the cake moist on the inside and also balances out the sweetness.
I am usually not very good at slicing or chopping things finely. But here, I really made the effort. I took each strawberry and sliced them thin to be able to get a beautiful topping for the cake. I won’t say it is perfect, but it’s definitely not bad 🙂
The cake takes around 45-50 minutes to bake. The result is this golden beauty with speckles of red and the wait to let it cool is terribly agonizing. You just want to slice into it as soon as possible.
But, be patient my friend. The inside of the cake is moist and just done and needs the cooling time else it will be gooey.
Once at room temperature, slice and serve. Add some ice cream if you so wish. But I personally think it’s enough by itself.
Seasonal produce makes for super fresh desserts. Go on, try this while there are fresh strawberries around. You won’t regret it 🙂
Eggless Strawberry Cake
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
1 cup yoghurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups (240g) all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp lemon zest
1/4 cup milk
200g fresh strawberries – diced fine
100g fresh strawberries – sliced thin
Granulated sugar for dusting on top
- Pre heat the oven to 175C. Grease and line a 7 inch pan.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda. Add the lemon zest and mix.
- In a larger bowl, whisk the oil and sugar for 1-2 minutes till well combined.
- Add the yoghurt and vanilla extract, mic well.
- Fold in the flour mixture and milk alternately (flour, milk, flour, milk, flour). Mix till just combined.
- Add the diced strawberries and fold in.
- Transfer the batter to the pan and smooth the top. Bang the pan on the counter top (once or twice) to remove air bubbles.
- Place the sliced strawberries on top and dust with a little sugar.
- Bake at 175 for 45-50 minutes. The cake is ready when a toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool and then transfer to a plate, slice and serve