Making the most of strawberry season and using it as an excuse to face my fears! Presenting my first ever galette! Crispy, buttery and filled with delicious strawberries ❤️ How’s that for a new year resolution?
I’ve always been wary of dough and pastry because they are way more technical and I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to produce good results. I’ve dabbled in a few recipes earlier and they have turned out decent, so confidence might slowly be getting better. Just might.
Since I have told myself that this is the year to face fears and conquer them, it is time to begin!
First step – make something relatively easier. Galettes are like open pies and are easier to put together. Turns out I can make a pretty nice galette! Who would have thought?
The dough is made from basic, easily available ingredients. It is important to have cold butter sliced and pulsed into the dough. The cold butter retains most of it’s form in the dough and through the rolling and then melts to form the flaky, buttery crust. The delicious crust! Once the dough is ready it needs to chill for at least half an hour to let it rest and be easier to roll out. This also helps it bake better.
A Galette can be made with any fruit, but I chose my favourite to be the first. Gorgeous strawberries in season right now 🙂
The strawberries taste delicious with some brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest and mint to amp up the flavour. This dessert is barely sweet, slightly spiced, mildy tangy and divinely flaky. It is magic!
Add little almond flour and sugar to the base to give it another flavour dimension and also absorb some of the juices. Once the filling is spread across the dough, fold the sides (I am not too neat with this, but who cares?:)), brush with egg wash and bake. Turns out it is that simple!
Look at those butter bits – those will melt and give you the best crust ever!
That golden brown, flaky, crispy crust encases the bubbly,juicy strawberries. Match made in heaven!
Once it cools, slice and serve as is. Or if you want, can also add a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream.
Trust me, these are easier than they look. And they make you feel like some cool pro chef. Plus, they taste divine! Get started now 🙂 You will not regret it!
1.25 cup (150g) all purpose flour
100g butter – cold and sliced into cubes
1/4 tsp salt
90 ml ice cold water
1.5 cups (225g) diced strawberries
1/6 cup (20g) brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp dried mint
1 tsp lemon zest
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp almond flour (grind 2-3 almonds)
1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp water
- In a food processor, pulse the flour, salt and cold butter for 10-15 seconds till it’s a crumbly dough.
- Add the ice cold water and pulse till a smooth dough is formed (15-20s).
- Transfer to a floured surface, knead for a few seconds until a smooth ball is formed. Cover with clingfilm and rest in the fridge for 45 -60 mins
- While the dough is resting, prep the filling by mixing the strawberries,sugar,lemon zest,cinnamon, mint and salt. Mix well, cover with cloth and let it rest for 20-30 mins.
- After the dough has rested, transfer it onto a floured surface and roll into a 12 inch circle. Make sure the dough’s thickness is uniform across. It shouldn’t be too thin else will leak.
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Mix almond flour with 1/2 tbsp sugar and spread over the dough, leaving the edges.
- Scoop the filling on to the dough and spread uniformly across.
- Fold the sides of the dough towards the center, overlapping each. Make sure the dough cover around 2 inches from the side and not more. Press the folds together so they meld into each other
- Whisk egg yolk and water. Brush this on to the Galette dough. Sprinkle a little brown sugar over the crust.
- Bake at 200C for 40-45 mins till the crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven, let it cool. Slice and serve!