I’m not a fan of overly sweet things and most caramel tends to be just that. However when done right, salted caramel is pure liquid gold! It is luscious, smooth, decadent and perfectly balanced.
Just four ingredients and you can make your very own salted caramel at home. No fancy equipment, just a saucepan and a spatula.
The sugar takes it’s time to melt and become this gorgeous dark golden colour. You need to keep stirring to ensure it doesn’t burn and to break up the clumps. Watching it transform from white to gold is like magic!
That’s when you add the butter and whisk till it melts. The mixture bubbles up a lot when the butter (and then the cream) are added so be careful!
You’ll smell the gorgeous nuttiness of the butter and the caramelization of the sugar and the whole kitchen just feels like a candy shop 🙂
After the cream is added, let it boil for a minute, take it off and mix in the salt. Then it is important to let it cool to room temperature before storing in an airtight container.
As tempting as it looks, DO NOT try to taste when it is hot. From experience I can tell you, it ain’t worth it 🙂
How divine does that look? 😍
The best thing is this makes a big batch and stays in the fridge for 3-4 weeks. Keep using it as you wish. This works beautifully as a topping for ice cream, filling for cakes, addition to frosting and sometimes just by itself.
It is just the right amount of buttery and sweet, thick and oozy and just makes most things a little extra special 🙂 Make some and you’ll know what I mean!
200g granulated sugar
115g fresh cream – room temperature
90g butter – room temperature
1 tsp salt
- Put the sugar in a saucepan on medium heat. Within 1-2 minutes, as you see some of the sugar starting to melt, start stirring till all the sugar melts and becomes a deep golden. It will clump first and then dissolve you keep stirring. Be careful not to let it burn or stick
- Add the butter and whisk for about 2 minutes till all the butter is melted. It will foam at this point so be careful
- Pour in the cream carefully (it will rise and foam). Mix for 1 min or so as it boils
- Take the pan off the heat and mix in the salt
- Let it cool to room temperature and then transfer to an airtight container and keep in the fridge. Before using, bring it to room temperature and then proceed