It’s Pride Month! What better time to share this recipe? A super easy vanilla sponge turned into the Pride Flag 🙂
I am a staunch advocate for LGBTQ rights and the basic freedom to love who you love. People don’t choose their sexuality and have every right to live the way that works for them. The movement has seen so many phases over the years and is finally seeing some positive change in India as well! Pride month (or year or life) deserves to be celebrated 🙂
This simple vanilla cake, in pride flag colours , is super easy to make and a fun way to add a little sweetness to a powerful movement. I made it when a friend was over for dinner, to make him smile (more than he always does) 🙂
Playing around with colours is a lot of fun, really brings out the child (or the artist) in you. The basic vanilla sponge is the perfect base to take on all 6 colours of the flag. Mix them till you get the shade you like (don’t be shy to go a little dark). Layer them (I wasn’t even with my measurements but you can be) and bake. Easy easy!
Just look at those colours! 😍
Layer them the way they are on the flag – purple at the bottom, then blue, green, yellow, orange and red.
I don’t mind the uneven layers – just makes it more fluid as the colours all work well together and make me feel that we all need to just do the same as humans. No barriers. No borders. Just humans.
But, if you prefer a neater aesthetic, feel free to measure and layer 🙂
Bake and let the cake cool.
Slice and see the riot of colours! There is nothing you can do but beam 🙂
I am currently in the Castro District of San Francisco, which is the LBGTQ hub and it’s amazing to see so much pride love everywhere. Flags, sidewalks, crossings, souveniers are all painted with the flag colours. People are free to be who they are, love who they want and not be ashamed. It’s empowering to see this confidence and freedom and I hope this can happen everywhere someday. Soon!
To everyone who identifies with this community, know I am with you. I’ve got your back. You’ve got a friend in me 🙂
To everyone in general – stand up for the right to love, the right to be who you want to be, the right to be happy!
And remember – cake helps to make people smile. Bring someone a slice of this lovely, light, moist rainbow cake and make this pride month a wee bit happier 🙂 Accompany it with some chai for added joy!
Easy Rainbow Cake
2 cups (240g) all purpose flour
4 tbsp cornflour/cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
200g butter – softened
1.5 cups (300g) granulated sugar
4 eggs (room temperature)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk (room temperature)
4-5 drops of food colouring (red, orange, yellow, green, blue)
3-4 drops each of red and blue food colouring to make purple
- Grease and flour an 8 inch cake pan. Pre heat the oven to 175C
- Sift together the dry ingredients – flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder
- Cream together the butter and sugar, with an electric whisk/stand mixer. The mixture should become light, fluffy (around 2-3 minutes)
- Whisk in the eggs, one at a time. Add the vanilla
- Add the flour mixture and milk alternately, starting and ending with flour. Make sure to fold the flour in and mix till just combined. Do not overmix
- Divide the batter into 6 bowls. In each bowl add 3-4 drops of the food colouring and fold in (don’t overmix). One each for red, yellow, orange, green, blue and purple. To make purple mix red and blue (more red than blue)
- Transfer the batter to the pan, layer by layer, and spread each layer out (start with purple, then blue, green ,yellow ,orange and red)
- Bake for 40-45 minutes till the tester comes out clean.
- Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool in the pan for about 15 minutes. Transfer it to a wire rack and let it come to room temperature.