I love fries! Crispy, delicious and happiness inducing! For me, fries were always made of potatoes, but over the past 10 years or so I’ve tried some others too. Sweet potato fries are the most common of these and I actually really like them despite being wary to begin with. Given the need to be healthy, I’ve also been experimenting with ways to bake things vs fry them. Fries are super easy to bake and are a nice alternative to the heavily fried stuff we end up eating so often.
I wasn’t sure how the sweetness would translate into a fry, but I was pleasantly surprised. The crispy, crunchy, salty goodness remains but a nice balance of sweetness comes through as well. Makes for an altogether delightful snack, I say!
Sweet potatoes are healthier and when you bake the fries, it’s double healthy 🙂 These are so easy to make at home, they will become a regular feature on your snack menu!
I didn’t just do the basic salted version, I always like a little extra on these baked goodies. So a little olive oil, mixed with some spices and herbs goes a long way.
The key is to cutting them as similarly as posible (chopping isn’t my forte, so mine aren’t as great) and then laying them out with space to breathe as they bake. Don’t overcrowd them else they don’t bake properly and you won’t get crispy fries.
They just need to be moved around after 15 mins so that they don’t stick and then broiled at the end for the extra crispiness.
A little char is good, don’t worry 🙂 These are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. The perfect bite!
Toss em with a little salt and fresh coriander and you’re all set!
I always think I’ve made enough, but each time I wish I’d made more. They are super yum and get over before you know it! I have been known to have these for breakfast as well 🙂
So get cracking and make these. You will thank me 🙂
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
300g sweet potato – peeled and cut into even sticks (2 inches long, 1/2 inch wide)
50 ml olive oil
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp crushed garlic
2 tbsp fresh coriander – chopped
Salt to taste
- Pre heat the oven to 220C and line a baking tray (I used two trays for 300g sweet potatoes)
- Peel and prep the sweet potatoes. Mix them with the rest of the ingredients
- Spread the potato sticks on the baking trays, keeping them 1/2 inch apart to allow them to cook proeprly and crisp up well
- Bake at 220C for 30 minutes. At the 15 minute mark, move them around so that they don’t stick to the tray/paper. They will be crisp on the outside and soft on the inside when done
- Change the oven to grill mode and move the tray to the top rack. Grill for 5 minutes for 2 mins for extra crunch
- Remove them from the oven and transfer to the serving plate/bowl. Toss them with some fresh coriander and a pinch of salt. Dig in!