This cake is one of the first ‘different’ cakes I learned to bake, once I restarted baking, around 7 years ago. Growing up, I mostly baked simple vanilla or chocolate cakes, nothing else. When I started living by myself, 7 years back, I got a tiny oven and rediscovered my love for baking 🙂 I started exploring more recipes and flavours and this became one of my go-to cakes. Easy, delicious, fragrant and just the right amount of fruit. What’s not to love?
The apple and cinnamon combo is beautiful and makes the house smell lovely as it bakes . And as it cools.
You can bake this cake in any shape, it tastes great always. I’ve made this as a loaf, as a Bundt and as a simple square. The jaggery helps to add a deeper flavour to the cake and the apples are soft but retain their texture, making each bite burst with flavour!
I’ve baked this cake many times now and it’s always been a smash hit. I don’t think it’s ever last beyond 30 minutes, you don’t realise how quickly you go back for seconds 🙂 The light crumb, cinnamon-y flavour and the apple pie feels make it a definite winner. Plus no crust to worry about!
Trust me this is a cake you want to add to your baking arsenal. Soon! So try it and let me know what you think 🙂
Easy Apple Cake
100g butter – room temperature
1/6 cup (23g) jaggery powder
1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 apples – peeled and diced into small pieces
1.25 cup (150g) all purpose flour
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
- Line an 8-9 inch square pan with baking paper. Pre heat the oven to 180C
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, salt and baking powder in a small bowl
- In a larger bowl, whisk together the butter, sugar and jaggery for 2 minutes till light and fluffy
- Crack in one egg at a time, mix well after each addition. Mix in vanilla extract
- Fold in the flour mixture till just combined
- Peel, core and dice the apples finely. Gently fold the apples into the batter
- Transfer the batter to the pan and bake at 180C for 40-45 mins till a tester comes out clean and the cake springs back to touch. Take it out of the oven and let it cool for 5-7 mins
- Move the cake to a plate and let it cool fully before slicing and serving