Honey and soy are a great combination – the umaminess balances the sweetness and to me, is a signature flavour from Chinese cuisine. I used that as a base to make this baked chicken dish, inspired by several such chicken dishes I’ve had over the years.
We were in the middle of lockdown and getting tired of eating familiar food so I figured it was time for a little experimentation 🙂 I had ordered chicken thighs and tried it out this way, with some onions, spices and sesame oil thrown in.
Marinating the chicken for around an hour helps the flavours absorb and then it just needs to be baked till done. Easy peasy!
Once baked, I sprinkled a little spring onion and sesame seeds over the top and served this with rice. Makes for a complete, hearty meal with the rice helping you soak up all that delicious sauce as well 🙂
The chicken is soft and juicy, with the beautiful flavours singing loud and proud. This is one of the most comfort inducing dishes I’ve had in a while, so much so that I make this quite often now!
It is fuss free, easy to cook and tastes fabulous. Perfect for a weekday lunch or a light dinner. Nourishing soul food I say!
Try this and feel the nice big hug it envelops you in 🙂
Baked Honey-Soy Chicken
500g chicken thighs (bone-in)
1 small onion – finely chopped
3 spring onions – finely chop the greens and whites separately
5 cloves of garlic – finely chopped
1 inch ginger – peeled and finely chopped
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/6 cup (30 ml) dark soy sauce
1/6 cup (30 ml) honey
1.5 tbsp green chilli sauce
1 tsp white pepper powder
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp white vinegar
Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- Mix all the ingredients, except chicken, sesame seeds, half of the green part of spring onion, in a large bowl. Taste and adjust spice or sweetness to your liking
- Add the washed, dried chicken to the bowl and mix well. Cover and marinate for 45-60 minutes
- Pre heat the oven to 220C (for about 10-15 mins)
- Transfer the chicken, with all the marinade, into a glass baking dish (preferably glass) and bake at 220C for 35-40 mins till the chicken is cooked through, but still moist
- Take out the chicken and let it cool for 10 mins. Add the sesame seeds and remaining green spring onions on top. Serve with steamed rice, noodles or as is. Enjoy!