In my quest to learn more about dough and try to conquer my fears, I find myself constantly going back to galettes. They are easier versions of pies, equally delicious and a good way to get started on the dough journey.
This blueberry galette is tart, sweet, buttery and delicious. It’s also gluten free! The crust is made with almond and oat flours, which give it a nutty taste that works well with the blueberries.
I’ve been trying out a few gluten free recipes and really wanted to make a galette as well. It took a couple of tries to get it right, but it was worth it! The fact that this is gluten free doesn’t take away from the butteriness and keeps the essence just as it was. Just a healthier version 🙂
The dough is soft but not wet and once it has rested, it is easy enough to roll out and fill with those yum berries.
The berries are tossed together with some cornflour, lemon and sugar to give the filling that extra oomph.
The blueberries need to fill almost the entire pastry shell, leaving a little bit empty towards the edges. Once the pastry is done, it will be golden brown and slightly crisp with the berries jammy and bubbling away.
How glorious does that look?
Once it has cooled, slice and serve! That easy 🙂
Each bite has the gooey, delicious blueberries and the buttery pastry, making it quite a delicious mouthful 🙂
It’s a fancy way of eating jam on toast, or so I like to think 😛
It’s a great afternoon snack as is, or amped up a bit with ice cream and whipped cream. It’s one of the yummiest things I’ve made this year and I can’t wait for you to try it!
Blueberry Galette (Gluten Free)
1.75 cups (175g) oat flour
1/2 cup (50g) almond flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp brown sugar
80g cold butter – cubed
1/4 cup (50 ml) cold water
1.5 cups blueberries
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cornflour
- Blitz the oat flour, almond flour, butter, sugar, salt and cinnamon, in a food processor till sandy in texture
- Add the cold water and mix till you get a soft, smooth dough which holds its shape (when you make a disc with it)
- Cover the dough with cling wrap and let it rest in the fridge for 45-60 mins
- When the dough is ready, take it out and place it on a piece of baking paper. Put another sheet on top and gently roll it out till you get it to a 6-7 inch radius (it doesn’t need to be an even circle) and a few millimetres thick
- Pre heat the oven to 190C and prep the blueberries
- Mix the berries with lemon zest, lemon juice,sugar and cornflour and toss well
- Place the berries in the center of the pastry and spread out evenly, leaving 2 inches at the ends
- Fold the sides of the dough (you can use the paper at the bottom to help flip it without breaking it) and press the edges together
- Bake at 190 for 50-60 mins till the pastry is cooked through, golden and slightly crisp. The berries will be bubbling and jammy. Let it cool to room temperature and then slice 🙂