It’s orange season! What better way to kick things off than with these easy muffins? They are orange-y with a hint of gooey chocolate, best!
I baked these for a friend, who was visiting, as a welcome to the city, welcome to my house treat. I wanted to bake something easy, yet fresh & different and decided to mix these two flavours in a different way than normal.
Typically when orange and chocolate are combined, it’s an orange hint to a chocolate dessert. I switched it up by making it all about the orange, with a hint of chocolate 🙂
These muffins are full on orange, sweet & tangy and oh so soft! 🧡🧡
There is orange zest and orange juice, along with a little yogurt and milk, making them sponge-y and delicious. The chocolate chips are dispersed throughout the inside, but not so many that they overpower the orange.
And to take things up a notch, I drizzled a little orange juice on the top of each muffin, with a little sprinkle of orange zest. I told you it’s full on orange!
The muffins are light and not too sweet, making them perfect for any time of day. They are also great as gifts! My friend loved them and they were polished off in no time!
Get yourself some oranges and try these out soon 🙂
Orange Choco-chip Muffins
- 1.75 cups (210g) all purpose flour (maida)
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/3 cup neutral oil (vegetable/sunflower)
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 tsp sugar
- Pre heat the oven to 175C and line a muffin pan
- In a small bowl, sift the flour. Add baking soda, baking powder, salt and 1 tbsp orange zest and mix
- In a larger bowl, whisk together the oil and sugar for 2 mins till well combined
- Whisk in the eggs one by one, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla, orange juice and yogurt till well combined
- Add the flour mix and milk alternatingly, gently mixing after each addition (flour, milk, flour, milk, flour)
- Fold in the chocolate chips till just combined
- Transfer the batter to the muffin liners, filling each 3/4 full
- Bake at 175C for 35-40 mins a tester comes out clean. Take them out of the oven
- Mix the ingredients for the glaze till sugar dissolves and then pour over each muffin. Serve!