I am always open to experimenting with ways to make desserts healthier, while keeping the flavour game on point. These muffins are the result of one such experiment, which I tried for a lovely person and fitness coach, U.
These muffins are made with whole wheat and use honey instead of sugar. Coach U is a big fan of peanut butter, so that had to be a part of these muffins 🙂
The peanut butter dollops on top of each muffin are swirled around as you wish. Each muffin ends up unique in its look, which i really like!
They also have banana, to balance sweetness and thus make it possible for these to be made without added sugar or jaggery.
The muffins are light, nutty and dark. They are not too sweet and make for a great snack or dessert.
I hope you try these and like them!
Healthier Choco Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- 1 cup (120g) whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup (20g) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 3 ripe bananas – mashed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Pre heat the oven to 175C and line muffin pan
- In a large bowl, mash bananas well and mix oil, honey till well combined
- Whisk in the egg and vanilla extract and mix for 2 mins
- In a smaller bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda
- Fold the dry batter into the wet batter, gently, till just combined
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Scoop batter into lined pan, filling each liner about 3/4 full
- Add 1 tbsp of peanut butter on top of the batter, in each muffin. Swirl ,using a knife
- Bake for 25-30 mins till done. The tester should come out with just a few moist crumbs at the most
- Take the muffins out of the oven, let them cool and take them out of the pan. Enjoy!