Say hello to one of my favourite breakfasts, Shakshuka!
I started making Shakshuka when I was living by myself and wanted variety in my breakfasts. It is super easy to make, comes together quickly and is a great way to have a more balanced breakfast. You know, veggies and all that 🙂
I love the bright, vibrant colours of a Shakshuka, they complement the golden yellow of the yolk so well. Great way to start the day, don’t you think? 🙂
I like my eggs to be slightly oozy and that works even better in this dish. The yolk combines really well with the vegetables and results in this delicious sauce that you eat along with the egg and the vegetables. Mmmm! Wipe it all up with some bread and you’re set for the day!
Shakshuka is a middle eastern dish with variations in spices and ingredients across countries. Given the kind of flavours I like, mine is definitely more spiced and full of herbs compared to the base version.
I have tried both the stovetop cooking version as well as the baking version and find both equally delicious. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet that can be put in the oven, the oven version means two dishes will be used to make this. Lil lazy ol’ me goes with the stovetop version now, because I don’t want to clean more than I have to 🙂
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day guys. Make it a delicious one 🙂
1 large onion
3 cloves of garlic
3/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1.5 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
3/4 tsp cayenne powder
1/2 tsp paprika
2 tbsp pitted olives
1 tsp olive oil
salt to taste
2 tbsp grated cheese (preferably feta, but I use good old Amul cheese when I don’t have feta)
- Finely chop the onion, garlic and the vegetables
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add garlic and onion and cook till golden brown
- Add the chopped capsicum and cook for about 5-7 minutes till slightly soft
- Add salt and pepper and cook for another minute
- Now add the tomatoes and the rest of the spices. Mix well and cook for 5-7 minutes till the oil releases from the mixture. The tomatoes will be nice and soft
- Check for salt and pepper and adjust as per your liking
- Add the olives and mix
- Make four little wells in the pan and crack the eggs carefully into each
- Cover and cook till the eggs are done, the whites will become opaque (around 15 -20 minutes). Add the cheese when the eggs are almost done, so it melts but doesn’t dissolve into the vegetables.
- If you are baking, preheat oven to 175C and bake for 15-20 minutes till eggs are done
- Serve with bread and enjoy 🙂