You know my love for banana bread, right? And my love for chocolate?
Well, this recipe combines both these loves into a deeply decadent, moist, delicious dessert! Say hello to my Double Chocolate Banana Bread 🙂 An eggless one at that!
I baked this cake as a belated birthday gift for a friend (gifting is waay easier when you like to bake:)) and it was a huge hit! His girlfriend could not believe that it was eggless, it was just as moist and delicious as a cake with eggs.
This cake has chocolate in two forms – cocoa as well as melted chocolate. There is this deep, dark, delicious, intense chocolate flavour in the cake, balanced by the saltiness of the butter, acidity of the buttermilk, hint of spice from the cinnamon and sweetness of the bananas. Perfect, I say!
The riper the bananas the better. The blacker on the outside, the sweeter on the inside. Best for baking!
The crackly top gives the cake a nice little crunch, while the inside is dense and moist. YUM! Be careful and patient – let the cake cool fully before cutting, to ensure that you get neat slices and it doesn’t crumble.
Just look at that! *Drool*
On days when you need that chocolatey pick me up, but don’t want to overwhelmed by just chocolate – this needs to be your go-to dessert. I promise it will make you feel such immense happiness that you’ll go back for a few more slices 🙂
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
4 medium ripe bananas – mashed
100g softened butter
80g dark chocolate (I used Cadbury Bournville)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup buttermilk (1 cup milk+ 1 tsp vinegar, mix well and let it stand for 5 mins)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a saucepan over low heat, until you get a smooth mixture. Take it off the heat and let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Grease and line a 9 inch loaf pan. Pre heat the oven to 180C.
- Add the room temperature butter and chocolate mixture to a bowl, along with the brown sugar and whisk well (˜2 minutes).
- Add the vanilla extract and buttermilk and combine. You can replace the buttermilk with yoghurt or with 2 eggs, if you choose.
- Add the mashed bananas and mix well.
- Mix in the cocoa powder, ensure there are no lumps.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Slowly fold the flour mixture into the wet mixture until just combined.
- Transfer the batter to the baking pan. Tap the filled pan on the surface to remove air bubbles.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, till a skewer comes out clean.
- Let it cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then place the cake on a wire rack to cool down completely.
- Slice and serve 🙂
2 thoughts on “Double Chocolate Banana Bread (Eggless)”
Loved the recipe 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
[…] think? 🙂 I guarantee you will always find many chocolate desserts on the blog (eggless muffins, chocolate banana bread, fudgy brownies […]