Chocolate will be my all time favourite dessert flavour. Even though over the past few years I have developed a stronger love for non chocolate desserts (adulting!), nothing says comfort quite like a good old chocolate cake or muffin. What do you think? 🙂 I guarantee you will always find many chocolate desserts on the blog (eggless muffins, chocolate banana bread, fudgy brownies etc)!
Today I am adding a super simple but extremely delicious recipe to the list. Chocolate with it’s favourite companion : Coffee! And double chocolate at that. In muffin form. So easy to eat!
Coffee really helps to amp up the chocolate flavour, which is why I use it even in basic chocolate cake recipes. But in this case, I really wanted the coffee flavour to shine, so I modified the ratios a little.
The darkness of the cocoa combined with the bitterness of the coffee make for a beautifully decadent but not very sweet muffin. I am not a fan of anything too sweet and over time my definition of too sweet has changed too. Now I love the darker, more intense chocolate flavours a lot more than I did earlier. Coffee really helps to make this muffin rich and intense without being cloyingly sweet. Perfect for an afternoon snack or post lunch dessert, right? 🙂
Just look at that batter! ❤
Throw in some chocolate chips for a little added melty, chocolatey sweetness and you’re good to go 🙂
The recipe is super easy, just requires the muffin basics. Plus some yoghurt to add to the moisture. Make sure not to fill the muffin liners up to the top, else the muffin will rise too much and will be tough to get out of the mould.
Also how cute is this pink silicone muffin pan? 🙂 Little joys!
Bake the muffins till just done. Cool and eat. It is that easy 😀
Look at the crumb inside. Dark, moist with melty chocochip bits. YUM!
I took these to a friend’s place to have post our delicious Tamilian feast and followed it up with some filter coffee. Best combination!
Double Chocolate Mocha Muffins
100g soft butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg – room temperatur
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup strong, freshly brewed coffee – at room temperature
1.75 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup yoghurt
1/2 cup choco-chips
- Grease and line the muffin pan. Pre heat the oven to 180C
- Mix the butter and sugars with an electric whisk for about 3-4 minutes till it becomes light, fluffy and creamy.
- Whisk in the egg and vanilla till combined.
- Add the cooled coffee and mix in.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
- Add the flour mixture and yoghurt alternately, starting and ending with flour. Use 1/3 of the flour mixture and 1/2 the yoghurt mixture in each round (Flour, yoghurt, flour, yoghurt, flour).
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Fill up the muffin liners up to 2/3 full. Smoothen the tops with a butter knife/offset spatula.
- Bake at 180C for 25-30 minutes till a tester comes out clean and the muffins spring back when touched.
- Take them out of the oven and let them cool in the pan for 5-7 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy 🙂