There are few aromas as comforting and happiness-inducing as that of freshly baked banana bread! Right?
It just makes you want to cuddle up on the sofa with a slice of cake, maybe some coffee and a good book. It’s even better if it is cold or raining outside 🙂 This aroma itself can bring such a big smile onto my face. I’m smiling writing about it!
This is a cake I’ve been making for many years. It never disappoints. It is super simple to make, deliciously moist and flavourful and impossible to stop at just one slice. Even I, who usually don’t eat too much of what I bake (overwhelmed by the aromas and tasting during the process), cannot stop at just one slice. It is like a big, warm hug!
I’ve baked this for housewarmings, rainy evenings, get well soon visits and just general happiness needing days. Works. Every time. Everywhere. The magic of a simple banana loaf!
What makes this cake so delicious? It is key to use brown sugar for this recipe. Brown sugar’s added molasses helps it add moisture to the cake. In terms of bananas, remember, the blacker the better! For baking, I strongly recommend using bananas that are super duper ripe. Let them get to the point where the skin is black, the inside is soft and gooey (but not spoilt). This is when they are the sweetest and give out the best flavour when baked. I have been known to buy bananas and just let them be till they get to this stage, just so I can bake.
The touch of cinnamon and nutmeg help to balance the flavours and add to that delicious aroma wafting around the house. The ‘you know you want to eat this’ aroma. The ‘I will make you happy’ aroma.
The top has a nice crust, while the inside is so warm, moist and divine! Let the cake rest and cool before you cut it, else it will just disintegrate. I find this to be the toughest part of the cook. It smells so inviting that I am extremely tempted to cut into it immediately. But patience is a virtue in this case, my friends. Let it cool to room temperature.
Try this recipe and tell me how you like the warm hugs it gave you 🙂
Classic Banana Bread
90g softened butter (okay to use salted)
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs (room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 mashed ripe bananas
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/8 cup milk
- Mash the bananas in a small bowl with a fork
- Grease and line a 9 inch loaf pan. Pre heat the oven to 180C
- Sift together the dry ingredients : flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg
- In a larger bowl, beat the sugar and butter together until creamy, light in colour and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes)
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mix well
- Mix in the vanilla extract, milk and mashed bananas.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture and fold until just combined. Don’t overmix
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking tin
- Bake at 180C for 50-60 minutes until a tester comes out clean.
- Let it cool in the pan for 20 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack till it cools to room temperature before you slice into it. Enjoy!