Bananas in dessert are the bomb! Especially in cakes and muffins – so comforting and happiness inducing! I’m a sucker for a good, simple banana bread, but sometimes you need a little chocolate love to dial things up 🙂
This banana bread is loaded! Double chocolate, folks 🙂 🤩
There is cocoa powder and then there are a lot of chocolate chips too. Perfection! I used these gorgeous, big chocolate buttons which I bought in the US. Super chunky, melty, delicious chocolatey goodness! You can use smaller chips or chunks of a chocolate bar as well. These look so pretty too 🙂
The chocolate chips are folded through the batter and then liberally sprinkled over the top too. Nothing like too much melty goodness, right?
This is not a cake for finicky eaters. It is messy. Messy but divine!
Each bite is moist, banana-y, loaded with chocolate, soft and will leave you licking all the melted chocolate off your fingers. And the going back for a second. And maybe a third!
The cake is uber moist and decadent thanks to the melted butter, brown sugar and bananas. Yummm!
I guarantee you will also lick the pan/paper/plate clean. Can’t waste chocolate!
I made this one day while i was working from home and got two friends as well as my landlords to try it. Resounding success all across! Even I ate more than one slice and that doesn’t normally happen with me an dessert!
So go ahead, bake a big loaf and watch the magic!
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
3 large ripe bananas – mashed
1.25 cup (150g) all purpose flour
1/4 cup (20g) cocoa powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup (66g) butter – melted and cooled to room temperature
3/4 cup (90g) brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips + extra for the top
- Pre heat the oven to 175C. Grease and line a 9*5 baking pan
- Melt the butter and let it cool to room temperature
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl
- Whisk the melted butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes till light and mixed well
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix for 1-2 minutes
- Mix in the mashed bananas till well combined
- Fold in the dry ingredients till just combined
- Fold in the chocolate chips and transfer the batter to the baking pan. Sprinkle some moe chocolate chips on top
- Bake at 175 for 60 mins till done. Let it cool and then remove from the pan to slice and serve 🙂