I’ve always been a fan of Nutella (I mean, who isn’t?) but as I’ve grown older I find it too sweet to have it the way I used to. Earlier I didn’t even need bread, just a spoon and a jar of Nutella were fine 🙂 As my palate has evolved , I’ve grown to appreciate things that are less achingly sweet and more a balance of sweet and salty. Nutella and sea salt is one such magic combination! I’ve had this in cookies and tarts and I was ecstatic!
These cookies are my take on this gorgeous combo. Nutella inside, Nutella on top, crunchy sea salt sprinkled generously all over and that buttery cookie. YUM YUM YUM! 😍😍
These cookies take some time to make, but they are totally worth the effort and the wait. Each bite is joy personified!
Chilling spoonfuls of Nutella before stuffing the chilled cookie dough helps the cookies retain their shape and ensures the Nutella doesn’t ooze or spread too much, while still being the perfect level of melty inside!
And once rolled, add some more Nutella on the top. *droooool*
Dont shy away from the sea salt. Use liberally! All over each cookie. The crystals will melt in your mouth and be this much needed pop of balance. The saltiness makes the chocolate taste even better!
Bake these babies till just done. Golden brown on the edges and just about done in the middle. This way you know you will have a nice,chewy cookie with a glorious melty center and little pools of Nutella on top. YAAASSS!!!
See how they are a little puffy in the middle? That’s the Nutella goodness right there! 🤩
Let them cool to room temperature and then begin the binge!
I baked these for some friends as part of one of my many Bombay farewells. Baking for the ones you love is therapy like nothing else. And when they love it and devour what you make, like with these cookies, you are one happy soul 🙂
So go ahead, bake these and watch the magic unfold!
Nutella Sea Salt Cookies
100g butter – room temperature
3/4 cup (90g) brown sugar
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1.25 cup (150g) all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
10-12 tbsp Nutella – chilled
Sea salt to sprinkle
- Pre heat the oven to 175 C and line a baking tray
- Cream together the butter and sugars for 2-3 minutes till light and fluffy
- Mix in the egg and vanilla for 1-2 mins
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Fold in to the wet batter and mix till just combined.
- Chill the dough for 20 mins
- Scoop 1.5 tbsp size balls of the dough. Flatten each slightly
- In to the center of each flattened cookie dough, place 1 tsp of chilled Nutella. Fold the edges to the center and re-roll into a ball
- Add 1 tsp of Nutella on top of each rolled ball, spread across 2-3 places on the dough
- Sprinkle sea salt over each dough ball
- Bake for 13-15 mins till just done, golden on the sides and still a little under in the center
- Cool fully and enjoy!