Sometimes a flavour combination works so well that you feel compelled to try it in as many versions as possible. The white chocolate and cranberry cookies that I made last year led me to one such discovery!
Since I am not a big fan of the super-sweet white chocolate, I find that the tart cranberries are the perfect balance. Add a little salt and reduce the sugar and you have the perfect combination! The cookies were so delicious that I had to make the cake version 🙂
This version of a simple pound cake is light, moist, soft and packed with flavour. Absolutely delicious!
It needs simple, easy to find ingredients and takes about 10 minutes to prep and another hour or so to be ready to slice.
I don’t have access to fresh cranberries so I use the dried ones. Works well, so don’t worry! Add some on top of the cake as well and get that delicious, juicy burst of flavour in each bite. Yummy!
I first made this cake on my last day in Bombay. It was my last bake in the house before moving to Bangalore. Some friends came over to say bye and this cake disappeared in a flash! I recently made this again for colleagues at work and everyone was super surprised that it didn’t taste sickly sweet and that it was so tender and moist. When so many people love the cake, you know it’s a winner!
The golden surface, the crusty edges and the soft crumb make this so magical. And since it is not too sweet, you end up eating way more than planned. But who cares, it’s so tasty! Cake makes everything ok!
Sweet and sour all in one. In cake form. Best.
Try this and you will thank me. I promise 🙂
White Chocolate and Cranberry Loaf
100g soft butter
3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 cups (180g) all purpose flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup cranberries + 3 tbsp cranberries
- Line a 9 inch loaf pan. Pre heat the oven to 175C
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder
- Whisk the butter and sugar for 1-2 minutes till light and fluffy
- Add the eggs one by one, whisking after each, till well combined (2-3 minutes). Mix in the vanilla extract
- Add the flour mixture and milk alternately , starting and ending with flour (flour, milk, flour, milk, flour). Mix till just combined
- Fold in the white chocolate chips and then the 1/2 cup of cranberries
- Transfer the batter to the lined pan and smoothen the top. Bang the pan on the counter once or twice to remove air bubbles
- Sprinkle the remaining cranberries on top of the loaf
- Bake at 175C for 45-50 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean and the cake springs back lightly when pressed
- Let it cool in the pan and then remove and slice to serve