Good ol’ chai (with milk) is a great comfort giver at most times. But there is another version of tea which gives me extra special joy – delicious ginger lemon honey tea! Many associate this with chilling in the hills, others with being sick and some think of it as a more of a rainy day tea. It is all these and more! It is light, delicious, aromatic, warm and comforting – all in one steaming cup ❤️
This cake takes the three main flavours and combines them into a moist, tender, beautiful cake.
The lemon flavour sings out loud and proud! You can taste the zing with every bite – after all that’s what happens when you use both the zest and the juice in the batter and add some to the frosting 🙂
The ginger hums in the background and adds that much needed spice and warmth to the cake. It also makes the house smell yum!
The honey makes the cake more moist and gives it a darker sweetness. Truly magic!
The cake is super easy to make and needs basic baking ingredients you will have at home. Top it off with a light, mildly sweet whipped cream frosting and you’re set to experience all kinds of happiness!
For me, this takes me back to many an afternoon spent in the hills, reading a book, drinking this tea and loving the view!
At the same time, it also reminds me of whenever I’ve been sick and a warm concoction of these three ingredients, sipped through the day, has made everything better!
On a rainy day like today, the spiced tea also makes me feel warm and fuzzy and helps me enjoy the weather even more.
This is the cake version of a warm, comforting hug, with a few kisses thrown in for good measure 🥰
Make it once and I guarantee you will be making it again! Very soon! Enjoy ❤️
Ginger Lemon Honey Cake
100g butter – room temperature
1/4 cup (30g) brown sugar
1/4 cup (75ml) honey
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk – room temperature
3 tbsp lemon juice
1.5 cups (180g) all purpose flour
1.5 tbsp lemon zest
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp cornstarch
30 ml whipping cream
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp lemon juice
- Pre heat the oven to 175C. Grease and line a 9 inch baking pan
- Whisk together butter and sugar for 2-3 mins till light and fluffy. Mix the honey till well combined
- Add the eggs, one by one, whisking after adding each till combined. Whisk in vanilla extract and lemon juice
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, lemon zest and ginger powder
- Add flour mixture alternately with milk, starting and ending with flour (flour, milk, flour, milk, flour)
- After each addition, mix till just combined
- Transfer the batter to the pan and bake at 175 for 35-40 mins till tester is clean
- Remove from oven and let it cool to room temperature
- Once cake is cool, make the frosting by whisking whipped cream for 3-4 minutes till you get medium peaks
- Add sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix well
- Spread onto cooled cake and serve!