There is something so comforting about the smell of freshly brewed coffee, don’t you think? Whether it is in the morning or when you enter a coffee shop, it’s this gorgeous aroma that takes over and makes you feel warm, cosy and happy. These espresso choco chip cookies make the house smell the exact same way! It’s glorious!
To make things better, they also have pools of delicious, melty chocolate chips inside. Each bite is this magical combination of coffee, chocolate, buttery cookie and a crispy top. Lip Smackingly Good!
These cookies are super easy to make and come together in around an hour, from start to finish. After that, it’s all about will power. How many can you eat? I ate 2 in the first 30 minutes.
The coffee flavour comes from powdered instant coffee, which adds a nice hit to the cookie and smells divine as it bakes. With every bite, you really do feel the warm roastiness of the coffee and it’s like having your morning cuppa with a cookie. All in one bite!
The dough needs to be chilled for about 15 minutes to help it spread a little less, be a little easier to manage and result in that thick, chewy cookie. Moist and buttery on the inside, crispy on the outside 😍
I used a mix of large and small chocolate chips, but you can use all of the same size as well. Add at least one cup if not more depending on how much you want inside the cookie.
The chocolate melts just right and you have these pools of liquid gold in each bite! Heaven!
Let cookies cool down and then dig in right away. Make a big batch, you know you’ll keep going back for more 🙂
Espresso Choco Chip Cookies
100g soft butter
1/2 cup (60g) brown sugar
1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1.6 cups (210g) all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3 tsp crushed instant coffee powder
1 cup chocolate chips
- Cream together butter and sugars for 2-3 minutes till light and fluffy
- Whisk in egg and vanilla till mixed
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and coffee powder
- Add to wet ingredients and mix till just combined
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Chill for 15 minutes
- Pre heat the oven to 175C and line a baking tray
- Use an ice cream scoop to make balls from the chilled dough and place 2 inches apart on the baking paper (might need to do this in two batches based on the size of the oven)
- Bake at 175C for 15-18 minutes till the sides become golden and the cookie is almost done. Take out when still slightly soft in the middle and cool on the tray for 5 minutes
- Transfer to a cooling rack and let them come to room temperature. Devour!