Do you tend to associate places with food? I always do! Whether it is a dish the place is famous for or something I discovered for the first time while traveling or something I ate during a memorable trip – all of these give me great food memories.
Goa, for me, will always be associated with butter garlic prawns. Yes there is tons of other delicious food in Goa (like the prawn curry, recheado etc) but I was first introduced to the wonder of butter and garlic together in Goa. So it will always be special 🙂
I remember first trying this dish way back in the late 90s when we had gone for our first family vacation to Goa. Since we were kids we tried the non spicy food and this was the coolest thing on the menu. We loved it and it stuck with me so much that I ensure I eat this at a shack whenever I’m in Goa.
I think this is one of the default dishes my friends and I always end up ordering when we are at a shack. Making this at home is super easy and immediately brings back memories of sitting by the water, in a shack, sand in your toes, beer in your hand and happiness all around 🙂
The whole dish takes about 20 minutes to make and tastes divine! The aroma of the garlic in butter wafts through the house and really makes you want to go back to the beach and laze!
Add some spices and then toss in the prawns and cook till done. It’s that simple!
Have this plain, with some bread or some plain spaghetti as well. Delicious, easy and quick – perfect meal 🙂
Make lots – this goes down fast!
Butter Garlic Prawns
250g prawns – shelled and deveined
1 tsp pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
10-12 garlic cloves – finely diced
1 tsp red chilli flakes
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp lemon juice
Salt to taste
- Wash and dry the prawns. Mix 1 tsp of salt and pepper and set aside
- In a pan, heat butter and olive oil till butter melts and starts bubbling
- Add the chopped garlic and cook on low heat till garlic becomes golden brown
- Add red chilli flakes, oregano, parsley and cook for 30-45 seconds
- Add the prawns and coat well with spices
- Cook for 2-4 minutes per side till prawns are cooked through
- Squeeze lemon juice, adjust salt and mix well. Serve hot