I’ve never been a fan of instant coffee, but thanks to spending time in the south of India (and with a bunch of coffee loving friends), I’ve grown to adore good filter coffee.
This cake is dark, intense and all about that beautiful cup of filter coffee. Your morning coffee in cake form!
This is the perfect breakfast dessert or midday snack, because it isn’t too sweet, packs a nice coffee punch and is moist and delicious. The perfect thing to nibble on (or gobble up 😀)
The only thing different in this cake, vs other simple cakes, is the dark coffee decoction and palm sugar. Both help to add the richness to the cake as well as the intense flavour and perfect softness. The palm sugar helps to make it less sweet but you can replace this with jaggery as well. Yummers!
The loaf comes out beautifully crackly on the top and soft and sponge-like on the inside.
Cut yourself a nice thick slice and start the day on a happy note 🙂
If you love filter coffee, you have to try this cake! Tell me what you think 🙂
100g unsalted butter – room temperature
1 cup palm sugar/jaggery
1 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 cups (180g) all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup strong filter coffee decoction/espresso – room temperature
1/3 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a 9 inch loaf pan
- Cream together the butter and sugar for 3-4 minutes till light and fluffy
- Add the eggs one by one and mix well after each egg. Mix in the vanilla extract
- Pour in the decoction/espresso and mix well
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a small bowl
- Add the flour mixture and milk alternately, starting and ending with flour (flour, milk, flour, milk, flour)
- After each addition, mix till just combined. Don’t overmix as this leads to a dense cake
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake at 180C for 30-40 mins till the cake is done. The toothpick should come out clean and the cake should spring back when touched on the top
- Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool to room temperature. Slice and serve 🙂
2 thoughts on “Coffee Loaf”
Sounds amazing, now I just need to find some jaggery…
You can use brown sugar too if you like 🙂