Oranges are to eat or to make juice out of, right?
Over the last 10 years or so, I’ve been lucky enough to have tried food from many different cities/countries and have watched a ton of food shows to feel like I know more than I actually do 🙂 A big part of this ongoing food adventure is learning how ingredients can be used in so many different ways, especially when it’s not something you’ve grown up with. Oranges are one such ingredient. They can be used in so many sweet as well as savoury ways and are a part of many different cuisines. They are used in sauces, with protein, in dessert, in salads – you name it. I’ve used them in brownies before and that chocolate and orange combination was fantastic!
This time I’ve used them in their simplest form to make an easy orange cake with a light orange syrup. Buttery, spongey, orangey and delicious!
I’ve seen similar cakes baked on TV shows and in simple bakeries and have always wanted to bake one. When my sister was visiting she asked me to bake my lemon loaf (her favourite) and that reminded me that I should make this citrus cake as well! So soon after she left, I finally got around to baking this cake.
The orange flavour comes through with both zest and juice. The lightly sweet orange syrup on top adds a little extra stickiness and flavour, making you feel like you’ve just had a rather delicious orange!
The batter is slightly thick and makes for a beautiful crumb with a golden-brown crust. Beautiful!!
The cake is not too sweet and has a nice balance from the salt and the fresh orange juice and zest. Like a tall drink of orange juice on a hot summer day 🙂
This is a nice and big cake, great for when you are hosting people. Or even for when you just want to make a yummy cake and store to nibble on for the coming week. It’s always cake o’clock!
You can make this in any shape, I like the Bundt because it is so pretty and makes it feel a little more special 🙂 Don’t you think?
When it’s slightly cool (but not fully), add the syrup and it’ll soak in and boost all the flavour in no time. Once the cake is fully cooled, slice and serve. Watch people’s faces light up as they enjoy each and every orange-y, buttery bite 🤩
Simple Orange Cake
3 cups (360g) all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp orange zest
200g butter – room temperature
1.5 cups (150g) granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup orange juice – freshly squeezed
3/4 cup yoghurt
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tbsp sugar
Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 175C. Grease and flour a 9-10 inch Bundt pan
- Sift the flour, salt,baking powder and orange zest in a small bowl
- In a larger bowl, whisk together butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes till light and fluffy
- Add the eggs one by one, mixing well after each addition till well combined
- Whisk in the vanilla extract
- Mix the yoghurt and orange juice in a cup
- Add the flour mix and yoghurt-juice mix alternately (starting and ending with flour)
- After each addition, mix till just combined
- Transfer the batter to the bundt pan and bake at 175C for 50-55 mins till a toothpick comes out clean
- Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool for 10-15 minutes
- Flip it out of the pan, on to a plate and prick it all over with a toothpick
- Mix the juice, sugar and salt for the glaze and pour all over the cake
- Let the cake cool fully then slice and serve