Do you love lemon in desserts? Please say you do 🙂 Lemon, to me, is one of the best flavours for a dessert. It is the perfect ingredient to add that delicious balance to a dessert so it tastes sweet but tangy, rich but fruity all at the same time. Like magic 🙂
After years of just eating lemon tarts, I discovered lemon loaves. Who knew it was so simple to bake with lemon? This lemon loaf is something I bake a lot and it is always a massive crowd favourite! Always.
My sister , S, is probably the biggest fan of this cake. She has asked me to bake it every time she visits – plain, simple lemon cake. K is a big fan too – this is one of the first cakes which he ate more than one slice of, given he isn’t too big on desserts. Even when I have taken this to office, it has got wiped out in no time. Guaranteed crowd pleaser, I say!
The cake is delicately moist thanks to the butter and the yoghurt. It is perfectly tangy courtesy the lemon juice, lemon zest and the yoghurt. The little lemon syrup drizzled on top at the end is the perfect way to balance out the sweetness and make it even more divine. Trust me, you need the syrup.
The golden crust, with the pale yellow interior is so inviting. You cannot eat just one slice. The tart-ness with mild sweetness makes you think this isn’t really a dessert. So light and refreshing!
Try this and tell me you are Team Lemon too 🙂
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
100g soft butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs – room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup yoghurt
8 tsp lemon juice
6 tsp caster sugar
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt
- Grease a 9 inch loaf pan and line with baking paper. Pre heat the oven to 175C
- Cream together the butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes till light and fluffy
- Whisk in one egg at a time, mixing after each addition. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Add the lemon zest and lemon juice and mix.
- Add the flour mixture and yoghurt in alternate turns, starting and ending with flour. Mix after each addition, till just combined.
- Transfer the batter to the lined pan. Tap the pan on the counter to remove air bubbles and smooth out the batter.
- Bake at 175C for 40 mins or till tester comes out clean.
- Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool for ten minutes.
- Mix the syrup ingredients. Taste and adjust sugar as required.
- Pour the syrup over the cake and then let it cool for another 20-30 minutes till it is at room temperature.
- Slice and serve!
4 thoughts on “Lemon Loaf”
[…] I started baking more regularly a few years ago, I discovered lemon cake. And what a delicious discovery that was! Moist, tangy, light and just divine. Because I loved the […]
[…] bakeries and have always wanted to bake on. When my sister was visiting she asked me to bake my lemon loaf (her favourite) and that reminded me that I should make this citrus cake as well! So soon after she […]
[…] Lemon cake is one of my favourite things to bake but I was looking for ways to amp it up further. Was toying around with the idea of a boozy bake earlier this year and realised lemon and rum would be a glorious combination! […]
[…] all know i love lemon in cakes, be it plain or with rum. Lemon also works really well with blueberries. Now I am trying a new version, keeping […]