One of the best things about being so food obsessed is that you get to discover so many phenomenal dishes just because of your love for trying new food 🙂
I sadly did not know a lot about Malayali food growing up, but my knowledge has been slowly improving over the years. Starting with belting lots of eraichi, appam, stew at Gunpowder in Delhi and then making sure I try whichever restaurant I hear good things about, I have grown to love the food from this state. I have a few Mallu friends as well and eating at their house is always a happy meal for me! Most of the Mallu food I love is non vegetarian (duh!) but last year I went out with a group of people where one was a vegetarian and she ordered Dal with Manga. I had never thought manga (raw mango) would work with Dal, but my mind was blown! I was in love! I’ve ordered this whenever I’ve gone back to the restaurant and had to recreate it at home.
Raw Mango cooked down with basic spices is damn delicious! Soft with a little bite, spicy, tangy and yum! It elevates the simple dal to a whole new level.
The Dal is cooked separately just simply in a pressure cooker and then mixed with the cooked mango till they combine well. Super easy!
It is super tough to resist polishing off the mango raw or when it is being cooked down. But be patient. When it all comes together, it will be delightful!
Have this with rice (preferably the Kerala red rice for full feels) or just by itself if you’re strange like me 🙂
Each bite is textural, spicy, sour, warm and delicious! You will love this!
I am currently in Kerala on holiday and am loving the food! Seems perfect to post this recipe today 🙂
Happy Mallu Food Love to you!
Dal with Manga
1 cup toor/arhar Dal – washed
4 cups water
2 raw mangoes
1/2 tsp turmeric (haldi)
2 tsp mustard seeds
1.5 tsp cumin (jeera) seeds
3 dried red chillies – broken
2 sprigs curry leaves
2 tsp red chilli powder
Pinch of asafoetida (Hing)
1/2 tsp cumin (jeera) powder
Salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
- Soak the Dal in 3 cups of water for 30 mins. Drain the water and put the Dal in a pressure cooker. Add 3 cups of fresh water, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder. Cook on medium heat for 5 whistles (approx 20-30 mins). Let the pressure release on its own and then open the lid
- While the Dal is cooking, peel and dice the mangoes
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. Once they crackle, add the cumin seeds and dried red chilli. Saute for 30-45s
- Add curry leaves and saute for 30s
- Add the diced mango and 2/3 cup water. Mix well and cook on medium heat till the mangoes become soft and cooked through (approx 5-6 mins). The mangoes shouldn’t be mushy, just soft enough but still holding shape
- Pour the cooked Dal in to the pan with mangoes and mix well. Cook together for 1-2 minutes
- Adjust salt as per taste. Mix chilli powder, cumin powder and hing
- Mix well and serve hot