I love baking with coffee (there are quite a few recipes on the blog) but I also love a good, strong cup of coffee to start the day or to pick me up during a long day. Or sometimes just to keep me warm when it’s cold outside 🙂
Growing up in Delhi, we only got regular instant coffee and I was never a big fan. As the coffee shop craze grew, I became a cappuccino person. But once I moved to Hyderabad, I was introduced to the marvelous world of filter coffee! South Indian filter coffee is something else! When made right, it is strong, delicious, fragrant and super comforting. These muffins try to take that feeling and translate it into dessert.
Once I got hooked to filter coffee, I ended up trying it wherever I got a chance. I learned to make it myself (I have the steel filter) and keep getting everyone around me to try it as well (the north Indians especially :))
I’ve been lucky to have lived in Bombay and now Bangalore where buying the coffee powder has been super easy and even getting good filter coffee is not a hassle at all.
These muffins are super easy to make but pack a punch. They are moist and soft, mildly sweet, have a crackly top and really do taste like coffee in each bite.
I first baked these for my friend A. I was visiting his house for the first time and as always, have to take dessert in such situations 🙂 When I asked him what he would like, ‘something coffee’ was the instant response. For someone who loves coffee that much, this felt like the best thing to bake 🙂
As they bake, the house just smells like a glorious little coffee shop!
The muffins were a huge hit and are definitely going in to my list of favourites 🙂
Make a strong coffee decoction and go on and bake these muffins! You will not regret it! ♥️
Filter Coffee Muffins
2 cups (240g) all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/3 cup (40g) brown sugar
1/3 cup (66g) granulated sugar
100g butter – melted and cooled to room temperature
1 cup strong coffee (espresso or filter coffee) – at room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre heat the oven to 200C and line a muffin pan
- Sift the flour, salt, cinnamon and baking powder in a bowl
- Mix in the powdered sugar and brown sugar till well combined and have no lumps
- In another bowl,whisk together the melted butter, coffee, egg and vanilla extract for 2-3 minutes till well combined
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet and fold till just combined
- Pour the batter into the muffin liners, filling each one 3/4 full
- Bake at 200C for 20 mins till the tester comes out clean and the top springs back to touch
- Remove and let the muffins cool. Dig in!