It’s the season for those glorious red carrots!I’ve baked the basic carrot cake, with cream cheese frosting, earlier but wanted to try something different this time. I went with whole wheat flour and brown sugar to keep it slightly healthier and made it into muffons, minus frosting, for fuss free carrot-y goodness 🙂
The muffin is light, soft and delicious. And of course, not too sweet 🙂
The grated carrots add sweetness, flavour and help to make the muffin beautifully soft. The walnuts add a nice crunch and the spices balance out the sweetness and also lift the overall taste of the muffin.
The use of oil instead of butter and brown sugar instead of white accentuate the soft crumb even more and keep the sweetness to a mellow level.
The muffins take around 35-40 mins to bake and once cooled, you will be going back for more 🙂
The muffins have a nice crackly top and a delicious, soft crumb inside. With pops of walnut here and there and red sparkles of carrot through the muffin, these are a delight to eat.
These muffins are healthier than your usual go-to muffins and great for a snack or dessert. Or even breakfast 🙂
Make a batch of these, while the carrots are in season. You will thank me forever 😀
Happy carrot season to you!
Whole Wheat Carrot Muffins
1.5 cups grated red carrots (approx 3 big carrots)
1 cup (120g) whole wheat flour (atta)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup (90g) brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup crushed walnuts
- Pre heat the oven to 180C and line a muffin pan
- Wash, peel and dry the carrots. Grate them finely
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices in a small bowl
- In a larger bowl, whisk the oil and sugar for 1-2 mins till combined
- Add the eggs one by one, whisking after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and mix in
- Mix the flour mixture in the wet batter till just combined
- Fold in the carrots and then the walnuts till just combined
- Spoon the batter into muffin liners, till each liner is 3/4 full
- Bake at 180 for 35-40 mins till the muffins are golden and spring back to touch. A tester should come out clean
- Cool to room temperature and serve