Playing with texture is a great way to amplify the food experience. Varying textures in food make each bite different and interesting. It could the squidgy mousse filling of a dessert, a crackly snap of a topping, pops of nuttiness with dry fruits, crunchy edges of the corner pieces and so much more! In this case, it is the crunch of the crumb topping and the bursts of flavour from the blueberries within 🙂 So much fun to eat these muffins!
I have made simple lemon-blueberry muffins before and played around with crumb in loaf cakes. Because I love the feel of crumb on a soft cake, I wanted to experiment with putting it on a muffin.
I had some dried blueberries on hand so decided to throw those on the mix for some additional flavour and zing. Because, why not? 🙂
The muffin is super easy to make. The batter is slightly thick which gives lovely soft, light muffins.
You can use fresh or dried blueberries, depending on what you have available. Feel free to put a few on top of each muffin as well 🙂
The crumb is just a mixture of flour, sugar, butter, salt and cinnamon. Once it is pulsed together to a crumb like consistency, sprinkle it over each muffin. Be generous!
The muffins need to be baked till the inside cooks through and the crumb is a nice golden brown. Be careful not to overbake else it will burn.
Once they cool down, dig in! Each bite will have a beautiful mix of moist cake, zesty blueberries, crunchy crumb and overall deliciousness!
These are decadent, tasty and make you feel all kinds of happy 🙂
Get your hands on some blueberries and make these. You will be a fan, I’m certain 🙂
Blueberry Crumb Muffins
2 cups (240g) all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup (110ml) milk
1 cup blueberries (dried/fresh)
1/4 cup (30g) all purpose flour
1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
35g soft butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
- Pre heat the oven to 215C and line a muffin pan
- Mix the crumb ingredients and pulse till you get a fine crumb, some chunks are ok. Keep in the fridge while you make the muffin batter
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder in a small bowl
- In a larger bowl, whisk the oil and sugar for 1-2 mins
- Mix in the milk, egg and vanilla extract till well combined
- Fold in the flour mixture till just combined
- Fold in the blueberries
- Spoon the batter into the muffin liners till 3/4 full and smoothen the top. Top with 1-2 blueberries per muffin
- Cover the top of each muffin with 1-2 tbsp of crumb mixture
- Bake at 215C for 5-7 minutes and then lower the oven temperature to 175C and bake for 18-20 minutes
- The muffins are ready when a tester comes out clean and the crumb is golden
- Cool to room temperature and serve