While we are in lockdown but working from home, we tend to look for quick, easy meals to rustle up while we continue to work through the day. It’s not easy to get breaks to cook elaborate meals during the day, with the sheer number of meetings and calls all of us seem to be on. Right? Please tell me it’s not just me!
This easy mushroom pepper fry is quick to make and quite delicious too. Perfect for these times.
I had just about 30 mins to get my lunch ready and was in no mood for excessive chopping or watching over a pan. Plus I felt like I needed something warm and punchy. Get the taste buds tingling and reminisce about eating out 🙂I used basic spices, onions, mushrooms and capsicums for this easy dish. It ended up feeling like a snack you can get at a bar or even as an appetizer in a restaurant. Win!
The mushrooms and capsicum retain their texture and bite, nothing mushy about this dish. The spices pop, the capsicum has punch, the onions have a lovely sweetness and the mushrooms have a gorgeous meatiness to them.
The dish comes together in under 30 mins and can be had as is or on toast or even with chapatis. Easy peasy and versatile! What more does one need right now?
Mushroom Pepper Fry
250g mushrooms – sliced thinly
1 capsicum – sliced length wise
1 onion – diced finely
1 tbsp peppercorns
1/2 tsp cumin (jeera) seeds
1/2 tsp coriander (dhania) seeds
1/2 tsp fennel (saunf) seeds
3 dried red chillies
3-4 sprigs of Curry leaves
1 inch ginger – chopped finely
1 tsp mustard (rai) seeds
2 tbsp ghee
Salt to taste
- Put the pepper corns, cumin, coriander and fennel seeds in a mixie and blitz till you get a powder
- In a pan, heat the ghee. Add the mustard seeds, red chillies and let them crackle
- Add the curry leaves and cook for 10 seconds
- Add the ginger and chopped onion and mix well. Cook fot 5-7 mins till the onions become translucent
- Mix in the mushrooms and cook for 5-7 mins on high flame till they become smaller in size and darken a little
- Add the capsicum and cook fot 5-7 minutes
- Mix in the spice powder and salt to taste. Make sure that all the pieces are coated with the spice mix
- Let the mushrooms cook down for another 5-7 minutes. In case too much water is released, turn up the high and let it cook out
- Switch off the heat and serve!