You all know my love for cookies by now. Especially the choco chip ones. The chewy, crisp edged, melty chocolate ones 🤩 I have quite a few cookie recipes on the blog, and am always looking for new ones to try. These tahini choco chip ones are definitely up there on my list of new favourite cookies!
Tahini is a great ingredient for desserts because it adds this lovely nutty aroma and taste, while also being the right amount of creamy. I’ve used it in brownies and muffins before, but had never used it in cookies. Till I tried this combo while on vacation in San Francisco.
On my second last day in the city, I decided to have breakfast at the famous Blue Bottle coffee shop. I’m normally not one for sweet breakfasts so I ordered a ham & cheese croissant along with my capuccino and was about to pay when I saw these cookies in the jar. They looked delicious! And I knew this was a combination I had to try. I bought one and it was definitely my favourite thing from that meal 🙂
I absolutely had to recreate this once I got back and it was one of the first things I did. It is easy to make and just elevates the basic cookie to a whole other level!
The batter comes together like a regular cookie batter and needs to chill for around 2 hours before you can bake it. This helps the flavours come together better and the cookie to be more chewy and tall.
Adding a sprinkle of sea salt on each cookie is a game changer. It helps to balance out the sweetness and also adds a little extra pop to the nuttiness. Do not skip this step.
The cookies bake for 12-15 mins till they are golden on the sides and just a tad underbaked in the middle. This is crucial so that they don’t become hard and tough. They will continue to cook as they cool down so that they are perfect by the time they are at room temperature.
The chips get all melty inside, making each bite this glorious mix of nuttiness and decadence. This is a beautifully lux version of the chocochip cookie. You have GOT to try this. Soon!
Enjoy discovering the magic of these flavours, just the way I did! 🙂
Tahini Chocochip Cookies
100g butter – room temperature
1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
1/2 cup (60g) brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1.25 cups (150g) all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup tahini
1 cup chocolate chips
- Whisk the butter and sugars together,for 2-3 mins, till light and fluffy
- Add the egg and mix for another 2 minutes. Mix in the vanilla extract and tahini and whisk for another minute till well combined
- In a small bowl, sift the flour, salt and baking powder. Fold it into the wet batter till just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Cover the bowl and chill in the fridge for 2 hours
- Once the dough has chilled, pre heat the oven to 180C and line two baking trays
- Scoop the dough into balls (around 1 – 1.5 tbsp per ball) and place on the baking tray. Keep the dough balls two inches apart. Press them down a tiny bit. Sprinkle each with a few flecks of salt
- Bake at 180C for 12-15 mins till the sides are golden and the top is slightly underdone (flip the tray half way so that the cookies in the front also get some heat from the back). Take the cookies out of the oven and let them rest on the tray for another 5 mins, they will cook through some mire
- Transfer them to a cooling rack and dig in once they are at room temperature. Depending on the size of your oven, you might need to bake the cookies in two batches