As the year comes to an end, I figure I should share a quick, easy, relatively healthy dessert recipe for you to bring in 2020 with 🙂
These muffins are super easy to make and are loaded with all the good flavour bombs – banana, chocolate and tahini- bound together with whole wheat flour. Yum!
Tahini is my new favourite thing to include in desserts (like these brownies). It adds a beautiful nuttiness and depth of flavour. For those who don’t know what it is, it makes for an interesting question when you ask what they think is in the muffin 🙂
The sesame from the tahini blends beautifully with the banana and the oozy melty chocolate for a moist, comforting muffin.
The whole wheat flour is not dense, contrary to what you might think. It is important to fold the wet and dry ingredients together only till just combined to keep it from getting dense. Adding yogurt also helps to keep the muffin moist and delicious.
The house smells magical as these bake. The ripe bananas, melty chocolate and nuttiness of the flour and tahini all come together to make the house aromatic. Best way to bring in the new year, I say!
Have these with your morning cuppa or as a mid day pick-me-up or as your choice of dessert to bring in the new year 🙂 Works perfectly for everything 😍
So go on, make a big batch! Enjoy your evening and wish you a super, well fed 2020 🙂 ♥️
Tahini Banana Choco-chip Muffins
45g butter – melted and cooled to room temperature
1/3 cup yogurt – room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup (70g) tahini
1/2 cup (60g) brown sugar
1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
3 ripe bananas – mashed
1.5 cup (180g) whole wheat flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips – chopped
2-3 tbsp chocolate chips – to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 175C and grease & line a muffin tray
- Whisk the bananas, tahini and melted butter for 1-2 minutes till well combined
- Add eggs one by one, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla extract
- Add sugars and whisk for 1-2 minutes
- Pour in the yogurt and mix well
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt. Fold in to the wet batter till just combined
- Fold in the chopped chocolate chips
- Scoop 2-3 tbsp of batter into each liner (till 3/4 full). Smoothen the top slightly
- Sprinkle 2-3 chocolate chips on each muffin
- Bake for 25-30 mins till tester comes out clean
- Cool to room temperature and serve