Strawberries are my favourite fruit so besides devouring many boxes of them and using them in bakes, how could I not also make a salad with them? Of course, with my favourite cheese, feta 🙂
I love pairing fruits and cheese in salad (like with watermelon and green apple) and I tend to veer towards salty cheese like feta to balance the flavour.
Strawberries are the perfect ingredient for such a salad since they are fresh, sweet and tart, all at the same time. They are in season now and I highly recommend you try this. Adding some toasted almonds to the mix helps in increasing the nutrient intake and also adds a nice crunch to the salad.
You can eat this salad as is, or as a side to a bake. I made this to go with a quiche, but then also ate it just as is the next day. It’s quite addictive and you won’t realize how much you’re going through. But it’s healthy, so feel free 🙂
I use a simple dressing and that’s really all there is to this salad. It is so delicious that my salad-unfriendly friend A, ate more than a few helpings despite saying he won’t 🙂
So go on, try it before the berries disappear.
Strawberry, Feta, Almond Salad
10-12 strawberries – sliced into quarters or eighths depending on the size
1 cup rocket/Arugula leaves – roughly chopped
1 cup mixed lettuce leaves – roughly chopped
1 small tomato – finely diced
3-4 tbsp feta – crumbled
3 tbsp almonds – lightly toasted and chopped
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp mustard
1 tsp freshly cracked pepper
1 tsp honey
Salt to taste
- Toss the rocket, lettuce, strawberries and tomato in a large bowl
- Toast almonds on a pan for 10-15 seconds and then chop roughly. Add them to the bowl
- In a small bowl, make the dressing by mixing all the remaining ingredients (except feta). Adjust the seasoning per your preference
- Pour the dressing into the large bowl and mix well
- Crumble the feta into the salad and mix
- Taste one spoonful which has all the ingredients in it, and adjust salt or pepper as needed. Serve!