We all love a good chocolate chip muffin, right? Tall, fluffy, soft on the inside, loaded with melty chocolate. What’s not to love? I say take that and switch it to whole wheat and add honey instead of sugar! Becomes a wee bit healthier, still as delicious and you can love it even more!
I first made these for my friend A. She was back in town, after spending most of the year in Delhi, and is someone who has worked really hard to get fitter over the years. Naturally, she is more keen on healthier desserts and asked if I’d make these muffins. Of course, I said yes!
The muffins are a nice golden brown, with a slightly crisp top while the inside is spongy and not too sweet.
The recipe is similar to a regular muffin, with a swap of the flour and honey instead of sugar. Use good quality chocolate chips to get them to be just the right amount of melty inside and on top of the muffin 🤩
Bake till they are just done, spring back to touch and a toothpick comes out clean (a little bit of melted chocolate on the toothpick is fine :)).
Let them cool to room temperature and feel free to attack! They are so light and delicious, you will probably eat more than one 🙂
Whole wheat choco-chip muffins
- 1.25 cup (150g) whole wheat flour (atta)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 100g butter – melt & cool to room temperature
- 1/3 cup + 2 tsp honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (110 ml) milk
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips + some to sprinkle on top
- Pre heat the oven to 185C and prep 12 cupcake liners in a pan
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl
- In a larger bowl, whisk the melted butter and honey for 2 mins till well combined
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix well
- Add the flour mix in three parts, alternating with the milk. After each addition, fold till just combined
- Mix in the chocolate tips gently
- Transfer the batter into the liners and fill each up to 3/4 mark
- Sprinkle some chips on top of each muffin
- Bake at 180C for 25-30 mins till golden brown on top and a toothpick comes out clean
- Let it cool to room temperature and serve!