Yes, you read it right! This cake has two decadent ingredients – red wine & Chocolate! It is dark, delicious and beautiful! The perfect cake for this festive season 💜
There is chocolate and red wine in the cake and also in the ganache. Double decadence!
The cake is moist thanks to the wine, brown sugar and butter. It has a dense crumb and screams winter deliciousness!
The ganache is luscious! That’s the only word 🤩
Chocolate, wine, butter – it’s on!
This is a great cake for a dinner party or a festive brunch. It will make you feel like royalty by making it as well as eating it!
Enjoy it! 💜
Red Wine Chocolate Cake
- 100g room temperature butter
- 1/2 cup (60g) brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 ml red wine
- 1.16 cups (135g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (40g) cocoa
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 50g butter
- 110g dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 40 ml red wine
- Pre heat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a 9 inch pan
- For the cake, sift flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and baking soda in a small bowl
- In a larger bowl, cream together the butter and sugars for 2 mins till light and fluffy
- Add the eggs one by one, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla extract
- Pour in half the wine (100 ml) and mix well
- Fold in the flour mix alternating with the remaining 100 ml of wine (start and end with the flour mix)
- Transfer into the pan, tap it on the counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 180C for 35-40 mins till a tester comes out clean. Take it out of the oven, let it cool to room temperature
- Once the cake is cooled, remove it from the tin and place it on a rack/plate
- To make the ganache, melt chocolate and butter in a saucepan till well mixed and glossy
- Mix in the cocoa powder and salt and mix well
- Take it off the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes
- Pour in the wine and mix well. Let it cool for 20 mins and pour over the cake
- Slice & serve!