I love podi and am always looking for new flavours to try and new ways to use it in my cooking. This is one such way!
There are a lot of stuffed baigan recipes across different states, so I thought why not stuffing these small eggplants with podi instead?
I used Moringa podi from Podi Nan Maga for this, but you can use any podi you like. Mix it with sesame oil to get a thick paste and fill it inside four cuts of an eggplant.
After that, it’s a regular, easy dish. Add some tempering to the pan first, then the onions , tomatoes and spices.
Then mix in the eggplants, add water, cover and let time do its thing 🙂
As the eggplants cook, they will become darker and softer and the masalas will all meld together into this beautiful dish! Adjust seasoning and you’re good to go!
- 500g small baigan (eggplants)
- 4 tbsp podi
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 onion – finely diced
- 2 tomatoes – finely diced
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (haldi) powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 dried red chillies
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander for garnish
- Mix the podi and sesame oil to get a thick paste. Add 1/2 tsp salt and mix well
- Wash and pat dry the eggplants. Using a sharp knife, make a cross at the bottom of each eggplant and slice through , as a cross, till close to the stem (not all the way through as then the eggplant will split)
- Stuff the cuts in each eggplant with the podi mix, be generous. Keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter
- Add the curry leaves and dried red chillies, cook for 30s
- Toss in the onions and saute for 4-5 minutes till onions are soft
- Mix the ginger garlic paste, turmeric, red chilly, pepper and coriander powders. Cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add in the stuffed eggplants, mix well
- Pour in water, add salt to taste, cover the pan and let it cook for 30-45 mins, stirring gently every 5-7 minutes
- The eggplants are done when a knife goes through them easily
- Adjust seasoning, top with fresh coriander and serve!