This cake is the result of different folks asking for different flavours in the one cake i was bringing to a vacation. I’m not kidding!
Some of the bombay friends decided to meet up in our favourite place , Goa, after ages! We booked an Air BnB and just wanted to spend the weekend relaxing ,eating, drinking and catching up with each other. Since I was seeing many of them after a while and hadn’t baked for them in three years (since i left bombay), i decided to carry a cake with me. Yes, i do things like that 🙂
When I asked flavour options, I thought the group would land up at rum & chocolate, a usual favourite, but then one friend asked for orange & chocolate which is his new obsession. So I figured , let’s bung them all together and make a new cake 🙂 Coz that’s fun!
So this cake has rum, orange zest, orange juice , cocoa powder in the cake, along with oil and yogurt to make it moist, tangy and punchy!
It also has an orange and rum syrup that goes on top once it is baked, to reinforce the flavours and take the cake to the next level!
The cake was light, airy, moist and packed with flavour. It travelled well, I carried it in my backpack, and was polished off in under 30 minutes. I kid you not!
It’s super easy to make and is absolutely delicious! You know you want to try it 🙂
Rum, Orange & Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup (120g) all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (25g) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tbsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 cup (30g) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/8 cup dark rum
- 1/2 cup yogurt – room temperature
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp dark rum
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Grease and line a 9 inch pan. Pre heat the oven to 175C
- In a small bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix in 1/2 tbsp orange zest
- In a larger bowl, whisk the oil and sugars for 2 minutes till light and fluffy
- Whisk in eggs and vanilla till well combined, another 1 minute
- Pour in the orange juice and rum and mix well
- Mix the flour and yogurt, alternatingly, starting and ending with flour. After each addition, mix gently till just combined
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and sprinkle remaining 1/4 tbsp orange zest on top
- Bake at 175C for 60 minutes till a tester comes out clean and the cake springs back to touch
- While the cake bakes, make the syrup by mixing all the ingredients till well combined
- Once the cake is baked, take it out of the oven and poke a few holes across it using a toothpick
- Pour the syrup over the warm cake, while it is still in the baking pan, and let it cool too room temperature
- Take the cake out of the pan, slice and enjoy!