For me, cookies are synonymous with quick bites of goodness. They are crunchy yet chewy, have bursts of flavour and leave you feeling content with just a few bites. One good cookie can really change your mood and bring a smile to your face.
To top it off, they are fairly easy to make and have such a variety of flavours that the options seem endless. One of my favourite flavours, in life, is peanut butter. This lends itself extremely well to cookies. Extra buttery (regular + peanut butter!), a mix of salty and sweet, crunchy on the outside and melt-in-the-mouth overall. YUM.
The criss-cross pattern gives them a cute visual appeal, I feel. I have been making these cookies for a while and every recipe I tried had these marks, they are signature to the cookies in America.
These cookies can be a little crumbly, since there is a lot of moisture in them. The butter, as well as the brown sugar enables the lovely texture. I find it helpful to cool the batter for about 30 minutes in the fridge to help it firm up a little. Once it is cool, shaping and baking is easier. The cookies don’t spread as much either, given you nice thick, delicious dollops of goodness.
Another thing to remember is not overbake them, else they will dry out and not taste good at all. Once the cookies get golden brown on the sides and seem ready, pull them out of the oven and let them cool. This helps them to firm up but ensures they don’t overcook. Patience is a good thing when it comes to cookies 🙂 Or in life in general, I guess. But for cookies, definitely.
Try this recipe and enjoy the lovely harmony of sweet and savoury in one delicious bite after another! Happy Days!
Peanut Butter Cookies
1 cup smooth peanut butter – at room temperature
100g softened butter (ok to use salted)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg – at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
- Cream together the peanut butter, regular butter and both the sugars for 2-4 minutes. The mixture will be well combined, light and fluffy
- Whisk in the egg and vanilla.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Fold into the wet ingredients. It becomes a sticky dough. Cover the bowl with cling film and let it chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (you can also keep this for a few hours in case you want to bake later)
- Pre heat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Take the dough out of the fridge. Use an ice cream scoop or a spoon to measure out cookie dough. Shape them into balls and place them on the tray.
- Make criss cross marks on each of the dough balls, pressing down lightly.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Take them out and let them cool , on a rack, for another 30 minutes. Enjoy!
2 thoughts on “Peanut Butter Cookies”
[…] first cookie recipe I posted on this blog was a peanut butter one and my most popular cookie is the thick chocolate chip one. So what could be better than a […]