Banana cake is always such a comforting dessert. Simple, delicious and familiar. I have a few banana cake recipes on the blog : the classic, with chocolate, with tahini and one with coffee 🙂 Bananas provide a great base to work with and complement quite a few flavours. So the latest thing I’ve tried is banana and rum!
I’m not a big fan of drinking dark rum, but find that it is beautiful in desserts. Adds some sweetness, a little oomph and a nice depth of flavour. Like banana, rum also works across a range of flavours like chocolate, lemon, raisins and so on.
Banana and rum work together deliciously and when topped with some punchy cream cheese frosting, they are pure magic!
The cake is light and fluffy, mildly sweet and definitely screams banana and rum.
The frosting is tangy, sweet, light and yum. It balances the cake and also adds another layer of flavour and texture to each bite.
The cake feels like you’re somewhere nice and relaxed, enjoying a cocktail along with lovely weather. It is warm and comforting yet at the same time fresh and exciting 🙂
Make use of the ripe bananas you have on hand and any nice dark rum from your bar. Whip up this lovely, easy dessert and add a little cheer to your life 🙂
Banana Rum Cake
3 ripe bananas – mashed
66g butter – room temperature
3/4 cup (90g) brown sugar
2 eggs – room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp dark rum
1 cup (120g) all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
1 tsp baking powder
50g butter – room temperature
110g cream cheese – room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup (100g) caster sugar
1 tbsp dark rum
- Pre heat the oven to 190C and grease and line a 8-9 inch round pan
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl
- In a larger bowl, cream the butter and sugar together for 2-3 mins till light and fluffy
- Add the eggs, one by one, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the rum and the vanilla extract
- Mash the bananas and add to the batter, mixing well
- Fold in the dry ingredients into the batter, mixing till just combined
- Transfer to the lined baking pan and bake at 190C for 35-40 minutes till the tester comes out clean, the cake is golden brown and lightly springs back to touch
- Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool to room temperature. Remove from the baking pan
- Once the cake is cool, prep the icing. Whisk together butter, sugar and vanilla till light and fluffy
- Mix in the cream cheese and whisk till combined. Mix in the rum. Adjust sweetness
- Use a spatula to spread the frosting on the cake (top and sides) and smoothen it out
- Let it cool in the fridge for 10 minutes and then slice and serve