It’s mango season! While everyone is devouring mangoes by the dozen, in every shape and form, it is only fitting that I share a recipe for one my favourite ways to have mangoes : as ice cream!
This recipe is super easy to make, needs basic ingredients and best of all – doesn’t need a fancy ice cream machine! Just needs a nice container and your freezer. Easy peasy!
Mango is one of my favourite ice cream flavours. As I have grown older, I have learnt to appreciate flavours beyond chocolate (adulting!) but mango has been on my happy list from when I was a kid.
It has always brought a smile to my face and been something I could eat in rather large quantities. Tubs have been consumed in one sitting. True story!
One of my favourite ways to eat mango ice cream is with fresh mangoes. Mango on mango! Double joy! Creamy ice cream with bursts of fresh fruit. YUMMMM!
When I moved to Bombay in 2012 and then Bangalore in 2013, this was my go to flavour at Natural’s Ice Cream. Mango season meant mango with mango. Happiness guaranteed!
This year, with the lockdown, it’s not been easy to get access to my regular ice cream stash and I was really craving this. I figured it is about time I try to make this on my own. If not now, when? Right?
All this needs is mango puree, whipping cream, condensed milk and vanilla essence. The whipping cream, once at medium-stiff peaks, is what gives it that light as air creaminess and makes this feel like good ol’ ice cream.
The whipped cream is incorporated into a mix of fresh mango puree and condensed milk to make the ice cream. That’s it. Freeze it for 6-8 hours and you’re good to go!
The toughest thing in this entire recipe is the wait time. But be patient, let the freezer do it’s thing. It’ll be worth it!
You’ll beee flecks of darker yellow through this pale golden ice cream. It won’t be a bright yellow because there is no added colour and it’s just cream and puree largely.
This ice cream is difficult to put down, especially when you add some fresh mint and mangoes. Magic in a bowl!
Mango ice cream has been part of many highs and lows in my life. Dentist visits (this is the only redeeming factor), tough work days, beautiful summer days, vacations, lazy weekends and just simple joyous moments. Making it at home makes it all the more special and it is something I highly recommend you try! Make the most of what’s left of mango season! ❤️
Easy Mango Ice Cream (No Churn)
400g sliced mangoes – pureed
400 ml condensed milk
350 ml whipping cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Fresh mango and fresh mint for garnish
- Peel and chop around 5 large mangoes to get 400g of pieces. Puree them to a smooth paste in the blender
- Transfer the puree to a bowl and add the condensed milk and combine well
- In a separate bowl, pour the whipping cream and vanilla extract. Whip for 5-7 minutes till you get medium-stiff peaks
- Fold the whipped cream into the mango and condensed milk mixture. Do it slowly and gently to ensure all the air is retained through the cream
- Pour the mixture, gently, into a bowl/pan to set. Use two if needed. Cover with foil and keep in the freezer for 6-8 hours
- Once it is ready, let it thaw for 5-10 minutes and then scoop into bowls. Top with fresh mint and mangoes. Serve and watch everyone devour these with joy!