As someone with a rather hectic work life, it is super important for me to be able to get a meal ready quickly and easily. If it’s a healthy meal, even better! I’ve found that chicken breast lends itself beautifully to such creations. Cooks quick, doesn’t require too much fussing over and works with a variety of other ingredients. This is one such combo : chicken and mushrooms. Super easy to make and yummmmy!
This recipe needs one pan and takes 45 mins to put together from start to finish. It has a lovely roasty, umami flavour while the chicken is still juicy on the inside.
The chicken is marinated in salt, pepper and garlic to give it a little extra oomph and then cooked with a little butter and thyme. Because, why not? 🙂
Once the chicken is nice and browned and just cooked, just place it on another plate and use the same pan to make the gorgeous mushrooms. Easy!
A little milk and flour combo helps to thicken the mushrooms and adds a gentle creaminess to the dish.
No fuss, super easy, extra delicious meal is ready!
I’d made something similar a few years ago and then forgotten about it. Recently, my friend A made a lovely chicken and mushroom pasta which looked divine! I adapted his recipe and mixed it up with what I’d made earlier and came up with this. It’s amazing when you get inspired by people around you, food connects us all in such a special way 🙂
Get this going now, it’ll be on your go-to menu in no time 🙂
Pan Seared Chicken with Mushrooms
500g chicken breast
1 tsp black pepper
10 garlic cloves – finely chopped
2 tsp dried thyme
400g mushrooms – sliced
1 onion – chopped
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tbsp olive oil
2.5 tbsp butter
Salt to taste
Fresh parsley to garnish
- Wash and pat dry the chicken. Marinate with 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp black pepper and 3 garlic chopped garlic cloves. Let it rest for 20 minutes
- Once ready, heat a non stick pan and place the chicken breasts on it. Let it sizzle and cook for 5 minutes per side till it becomes white-ish and opaque
- Add the thyme and 1 tbsp butter to the pan and keep basting the chicken till it starts to brown. Cook for another five minutes per side
- Add another tbsp of butter and cook for another 2 minutes per side till browned and cooked through. Take the chicken off the pan and keep on a plate
- In the same pan, add 1/2 tbsp butter. Once it melts, add onions and rest of chopped garlic. Cook them down till soft and transluscent (around 5-7 minutes)
- Add the chopped mushrooms and cook on high heat for 5 minutes till soft, browned but not mushy. Let the water evaporate and adjust salt
- Mix milk and flour in a small bowl and pour it into the pan, on low heat. Mix well and let the sauce thicken a little for 1-2 minutes
- Place the chicken back in the pan, toss through the mushrooms and let it heat up for 1-2 minutes
- Turn off the heat, garnish with parsley and serve