This is a special recipe. I made this in memory of one of my closest friends, who passed away earlier this year. She was the soul of every group, the most enthusiastic partner, an avid foodie, very well read, always up for adventure, equally game for a lazy getaway and just the nicest human being. I’ve spent years with her and can’t believe she is not around anymore. One of the things she loved and which never changed, was her love for rum & Coke. Especially old monk 🙂 I made her the rum & chocolate cake for her birthday a few years ago and the weekend after she passed I just felt the need to cook something that reminded me of her. While there were manyyy options (we have eaten a lot together :)), I chose to go with this easy no bake tart, so it was no fuss, rum forward and delicious. I know she would have loved it.
Here’s to you, Shaoli!
I lean on cooking and baking as a way to deal with emotions, all sorts of emotions, and I find my time in the kitchen to be very therapeutic. Shao’s passing was one of the toughest things I have had to deal with and it took me a few days just to get going, im honestly still processing. So spending half an hour prepping this tart, then letting it set and then realising how good it tasted and how perfect this would have been for her, helped. In its own little way.
This is an easy recipe, needs just a few ingredients and makes for a bomb of a dessert. One which will leave you wanting more.
It is decadent, boozy, just set and luscious! The crust is crunchy but just about holds together and each bite makes you smile. In this case, each bite made me think of all the memories over the years, the food, the drinks, the travel, the parties, the long, honest conversations, the relaxed silences.
Here’s to continuing to live life in the way she would want me to. Here’s to friendships that are forever. Here’s to one of my best friends!
I love you & miss you, Shaoli 💜❤️💜❤️
Chocolate & Rum Tart (No Bake)
- 210g Oreo biscuits
- 50g butter – melted
- 300g fresh cream
- 185g dark chocolate – chopped
- 45ml dark rum
- 1 tsp melted butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Blitz the Oreos till you get a fine, crumbly texture. Add the melted butter and mix again till you get a sandy texture
- Pat this on an 8 inch tray and press down till uniform thickness on the base and sides. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour
- Once the tart base has cooled, get ready to make the ganache. Bring the cream to a light boil (just a few bubbles on the surface)
- Keep the chopped chocolate ready in a bowl and pour the hot cream over it. Cover and let it sit for 5 minutes
- After 5 minutes, use a spatula to whisk the chocolate & cream together till you get a smooth mix
- Pour in the rum, melted butter and salt and mix till all combined
- Transfer this ganache to the tart pan and smoothen across the base
- Let it chill in the fridge for 2-3 hours till slightly firm. Remove from the fridge, Slice & serve. If the tart pan has a removable basd, you can slide that out and move the whole tart to a tray else just slice from the tart pan itself