Apple pie is high on my to-bake list but I’m still battling my fear of dough (yes, I know it’s been a while, I’ll get there). So when we got a lot apples from farmers in Uttarakhand, I decided to get the pie feels without making the pie. Enter : Apple Crumble. Perfect for the rainy Bangalore weather, made even better with a splash of Bourbon 🙂
This recipe is super easy and requires just some basic ingredients, along with any Bourbon you have. The flavour gets further amped by browning the butter, till it is dark & nutty, before mixing in the spices etc for the apples. Browning butter leaves this glorious aroma, which is further accentuated by the cinnamon, apples & crumble as they bake 😍
I add oats to the crumble dough to help with texture and taste, making for a nice mouthful when combined with those beautiful spiced apples.
The apples are slathered in brown butter, Bourbon, brown sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Wintery goodness!
Adding a little bit of the crumble dough to the apple mix helps to get it oozy as it bakes and also helps them retain some shape.
All you have to do now is to let it bake, takes about 60-70 minutes and you will get a nice golden crust with bubbly apple goodness coming out from the sides!
Let it cool down and then just take out a big chunk and get started 🙂 You can have this as is, like I do, or with some vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or even some caramel sauce if you prefer things sweeter.
The apples are soft, lightly spiced, mildly boozy and beautifully caramelized which goes really well with the crunch & nuttiness of the crumble. You’ve got to try this soon! ❤️💚
Bourbon Apple Crumble
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (60g) all purpose flour
- 60g butter (cold)
- 1/3 cup (40g) brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon powder
- 3 apples
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 50g butter
- 3 tbsp Bourbon
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- Pre heat the oven to 175C and lightly grease a 9*9 inch pan
- To make the topping, mix the flour, oats, salt, sugar and cinnamon powder in a bowl
- Cut the cold butter into cubes and add to the bowl. Using your hands or a processors, mix the butter into the dry ingredients till you get a crumbly texture, with all the butter incorporated into the flour mix. Keep in the fridge till the filling is ready
- In a saucepan, brown the butter for the filling, on low heat till dark brown with a nutty aroma. Keep aside
- Peel the apples and slice them thinly. Put them in a bowl with lemon juice as you keep slicing to prevent them from oxidising
- To the brown butter, add brown sugar, Bourbon and cinnamon. Mix well
- Put this mixture on the apples and mix well so that all the pieces are coated
- Put 1/3 of the crumble topping into the apple mix and combine. Put this into the baking pan and pat down uniformly
- Put the rest of the topping over the apples and spread out evenly
- Bake at 175C for 65-70 minutes till the topping is golden brown and the sides are slightly oozing
- Let it cool, slice and serve. Can be served as is or with ice cream/whipped cream/caramel sauce