I’m not a big fan of plain vanilla cakes. While they can be delicious, I find them a wee bit plain. However, a lot of my friends and family love good ol’ vanilla cake. And since I’m nice I bake it for them 🙂 But every now and then, I try ways to modify it slightly so that while the overall goodness and simplicity of the vanilla is the hero, there is still a little something extra to the dessert (like the colourful muffins). Funfetti (or sprinkes) are another such way to amp up basic vanilla muffins. And so colourful too 🙂
The addition of buttercream also helps to add a little sweetness, creaminess and makes it feel more luxurious in my opinion. I’m usually on team muffin (no frosting), but once in a while a nice cupcake with a light, tasty frosting is just what you need to bring a big smile to your face 🙂 Don’t you think so?
Sprinkles always bring joy. They remind me of childhood and birthdays, which are always happiness filled memories. The little crunch of the sprinkles in each bite just takes the cupcakes to another level.
When filling the liners, ensure not to fill more than 2/3 way up, so that they puff up just right and then you can add more height with the buttercream. Perfect size for biting into!
Feel free to get creative with the frosting, use any tip you like. I don’t use a lot of buttercream per cupcake, just 2-3 swirls. This way there is a nice balance between the actual cake and the slightly sweeter buttercream without being overwhelming or difficult to eat.
Try this and tell me what you think 🙂
If you don’t like plain vanilla, this will be a good place to start. If you do like plain vanilla, this will be a great way to jazz it up. Enjoy!
100g butter – room temperature
3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs – room temperature
1.5 cup (180g) all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup funfetti/sprinkles
100g soft butter
1 cup icing sugar
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp milk/cream
1/4 tsp salt
Sprinkles for garnish
- Pre heat the oven to 175C. Line a muffin pan with paper liners
- Cream together the butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes till light, fluffy and creamy.
- Mix in the egg and vanilla till well combined.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder in a small bowl.
- Add the flour mixture and milk alternately, mixing till just combined after each turn. Start and end with the flour.
- Add the funfetti/sprinkles and fold in.
- Fill each liner up to 2/3 way full and smoothen the top surface
- Bake at 175 for 25-30 minutes till baked through. A toothpick through the middle should come out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a plate/cooling rack and let them come to room temperature.
- To make the buttercream, take butter at room temperature (not too soft) and whisk for 2-3 minutes till it becomes fluffy and light.
- Add the sugar, half a cup at a time, mixing well till fully combined.
- Add vanilla, salt and mix well. Add milk to adjust consistency, it should not too be too runny or too thick, else won’t be easy to pipe.
- Transfer the buttercream to a piping bag, choose the piping tip you like and pipe on to the cooled cupcakes.
- Add some sprinkles on top of each. Serve!